Most Poisonous Food for Dogs | Full List of Dangerous Foods


Learn which poisonous foods for dogs can lead to serious medical issues, including death. Read a list of poisonous foods for dogs and why grapes and dogs don’t mix.

Poisonous Foods for Dogs

Many pet owners love to treat their dogs to an occasional dinner table scrap. But did you know that some foods are very dangerous for dogs and can result in serious illness and death? It is important that every pet owner know the list of poisonous food for dogs, so that you can keep your dog safe.

List of Poisonous Foods for Dogs

There are many great places to find lists of poisonous food for dogs. Below is a list of some of the most common food items that can cause serious problems for your pet.

  • Chocolate – Many pet owners are aware of how dangerous that chocolate is to a dog. Theobromine, an ingredient in chocolate, can attack the dog’s central nervous system. The darker a chocolate is, the more dangerous it is for dogs. When a dog eats chocolate, it can lead to serious problems, including heart issues and death.
  • Onions – A small amount of onions will probably not be harmful to your dog, but the thiosulphate in onions can cause problems in larger amounts. Because thiosulphate will build up in your dog’s system over time, it is better to avoid feeding your dog foods that contain onions.
  • Garlic – Garlic also contains thiosulphate, so should be avoided for the same reasons as onions.
  • Grapes – This one might come as a shock to some pet owners, and will disappoint the many dogs who enjoy chomping on a grape now and then. While some dogs will eat grapes and have no problems, grapes can cause kidney failure in some dogs. You should avoid feeding your dog raisins for the same reason.
  • Sugar Substitutes – Avoid giving your dog any foods that contain sugar substitutes, particularly those that contain xylitol. Xylitol can cause serious medical issues in some dogs, including liver failure.
  • Yeast – If you enjoy baking, be sure to keep yeast and uncooked dough away from your pets. In some cases, the yeast will rise in the dog’s stomach causing very serious complications, including a rupturing in the digestive tract.

Poisonous Food for Dogs: Symptoms

Below are some of the symptoms you may see if your pet has eaten any poisonous food for dogs.

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Heaving
  • Refusing food

If you see any of the above symptoms, contact your vet right away. If you know that your dog has consumed dangerous foods, do not wait for symptoms to appear. Instead, contact the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 or your vet’s office immediately.

When you call the number above, a fee will apply, but some locations have set up a pet poison control hotline that does not charge callers so check your local phone book.

Poisonous Food for Dogs: Treatment

The treatment when a pet eats poisonous food for dogs will depend on what he ate and how much. There is no one treatment that will be right in every case. Treatments may include providing fluids, inducing vomiting or surgery.

Many dogs who suffer from such food poisoning make a full recovery. The key is seeking treatment as soon as possible.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.